Ram Cummins are one of the best diesel trucks on the market. They have strong and durable engines that are reliable. Even with the perfect engine, your truck cannot run if it will not start. To start on command, it needs to have a fully-charged and functional battery.
When should I replace my battery?
A battery often lasts from 4 to 7 years. Sometimes you will get lucky and it will last longer but sometimes shorter, depending on a lot of factors. These can affect the battery:
- weather conditions
- malfunctioning charging system
- a bad battery
Symptoms of a Failing Battery
When your battery begins to fail it will often produce some noticeable symptoms. The most common symptoms are listed below:
- Dim Headlights: When the battery begins to fail, the headlights may seem dimmer than usual. Dim headlights can be dangerous, and they can also be a sign of a weak battery.
- Clicking Sound: If you hear a clicking noise when you turn the key, but your truck will not start, it is probably due to a dead battery.
- Starts Slowly: When it takes longer for your engine to turn over, it could be caused by the battery.
- Bulging Battery Case: Over time, the battery case can swell due to extreme weather conditions.
- Backfires: A failing battery can lead to erratic sparks. This can cause fuel to accumulate in the cylinders. The fuel is then ignited leading to a backfire.
- Does not Start Without Pushing on the Gas Pedal: You should not have to push on the pedal to get your Ram Cummins to start. If you have to do this to get the engine to start, it can be caused by a bad battery or a fuel leak.
Is it safe to drive with a bad battery?
As long as your car starts, it usually does not need the battery to run. However, if the alternator is also bad, your vehicle can die while you are driving. This can be dangerous and lead to an accident.
You can also find yourself stranded when the battery completely dies. This is not usually a dangerous situation, but it can be aggravating. Do not get stranded due to a dead battery. Have your battery replaced every few years or as soon as there is a symptom.
How to Extend the Life of Your Battery
There is no way to make your battery last forever. However, there are some things you can do to make it last longer.
- Do not take a lot of short rides: Short rides can shorten the life of your battery.
- Clean off the Corrosion: Battery terminals often corrode over time. Clean off the corrosion with a steel brush and a mixture of baking soda and water. After the corrosion has been removed, rinse the terminals off with cold water. Then dry them with a clean cloth.
- Battery Needs to be Secured Tightly: Make sure that your battery is tightly secured. This will prevent it from vibrating. Check it often if you drive on a lot of rough roads.
- Turn off Electronics When Idling: Continuing to run your electronics such as your radio or air conditioner can cause premature wear of your battery.
- Have the Battery Tested: Testing the battery may not extend its life. However, it can prevent you from being stranded.
Quality Service for all RAM Models
At Diesel Pickup Pros, we offer can handle all your RAM Cummins Diesel needs, including:
- A/C & heating service & repairs
- ABS repair
- battery replacement
- brake system repairs
- engine repairs & diagnostics
- injector services
- turbocharger maintenance
- EGR cleaning
- DPF cleaning
- tire services
- shocks/suspension repairs
- wheel bearing replacement
- chassis repair & improvements
- wheel alignments
- bumpers & towing accessory installations
- custom installs
- PTO & bodybuilder services
- window & glass repairs and installation
Come See Our Experts at Diesel Pickup Pros Today
If you are experiencing issues related to a failing battery, give us a call. We carry the best batteries for diesel trucks. Our ASE Certified, factory-trained mechanics can replace the battery quickly and get you back on the road in no time.
We offer battery replacement for diesel engine pickup trucks including:
- Chevrolet Duramax
- Dodge Cummins
- Ford Powerstroke
- GMC Duramax
- Mercedes Sprinter
- RAM Cummins
Trust our experts at Diesel Pickup Pros with all your RAM Cummins needs. We proudly service drivers in Floyds Knobs, Georgetown, Jeffersonville, New Albany, IN and Louisville KY.