Keeping your Dodge Cummins in perfect running condition entails more than having regular maintenance performed. Your chassis may have damage that can make your truck unsafe to drive. At Diesel Pickup Pros, we can help ensure that your truck’s chassis is safe and in working condition for all your hauls and workloads. Our friendly staff and knowledgeable mechanics are here for your maintenance and repair needs for all your Dodge Cummins parts and components.
What is the chassis?
The chassis of the vehicle is the physical frame. It is the core structure that all other parts are attached. Its purpose is to support the body and mechanical components. Our technicians know the ins and outs of the Dodge Cummins chassis. We provide truck chassis maintenance, repairs and upgrades.
Common Causes of Damage to the Chassis of your Cummins
The chassis is one of the most important parts of your truck. It holds the entire vehicle together. Damage is dangerous, so it is important to invest in regular servicing. The most common reasons for chassis damage:
- Weather: The underside of your truck is open to the elements. It is often in contact with rainwater, ice, and snowmelt. This can lead to rust. Rust spreads quickly and can cause major damage. Watch out for any sign of rust and have it fixed immediately.
- Road Salt: The salt applied to roads to melt snow and ice can cause major damage if it is not removed right away.
- Accidents: Body damage is often noticeable after a collision, but it is not the only thing that can be harmed. The chassis can be damaged and make your vehicle difficult and dangerous to drive.
- Rough Roads: Under the perfect conditions, all roads would be smooth with proper ground clearance. Since roads see a lot of wear and tear, they are riddled with potholes, bumps, and cracks. No matter how careful you are, you cannot avoid all the road hazards, but to protect your chassis as best as possible, drive slowly over speed bumps and try to avoid potholes.
Symptoms of Chassis Damage
You often cannot tell if you have chassis damage just by looking at the body of your car. The body may be in perfect condition, but the chassis can be damaged. If there is damage, it should be repaired right away because the chassis is a critical component for keeping passengers safe.
Signs of chassis damage include:
- Visible Damage: Obvious damage can sometimes be seen by crawling under the vehicle. The chassis may be bent, cracked or rusty.
- Out of Alignment: Poor alignment is a common symptom of chassis damage. Having an alignment performed can often fix a bad alignment. If the chassis is damaged, you may still experience difficulty driving straight.
- Strange noises: A damaged chassis can cause strange noises.
- Uneven Tire Wear: If you stay current with regular tire rotations, and they are still wearing unevenly, the chassis could be twisted or bent.
- Uneven Shock and Suspension Wear: If your shocks and suspension are wearing unevenly, this can be due to problems with your chassis. This is caused by one side of your Dodge carrying extra weight.
- Parts Do Not Fit Properly: When the chassis is warped, parts won’t fit properly. This can often be seen in the doors, windows, and body panels.
- Crab Walking: If the chassis is twisted or warped, it may result in a phenomenon known as “crab walking.” This occurs when the vehicle is out of alignment. To the person driving behind you, it looks as though the front of your vehicle sticks out a little to one side. This is because your back tires are not in alignment with the front tires.
Speak with the Experts at Diesel Pickup Pros
When you have an issue with your Dodge Cummins, call the experts at Diesel Pickup Pros. Our ASE certified, factory-trained mechanics provide complete services for diesel engine pickup trucks including:
Our state-of-the-art service center has the latest factory-grade tools and equipment available. This allows us to provide you with dealership-quality service at a fraction of the cost.
When you need your truck serviced, trust the experts at Diesel Pickup Pros. We are the number one shop for Dodge Cummins owners in Floyds Knobs, Georgetown, Jeffersonville, New Albany, IN, and Louisville KY. We look forward to maintaining and repairing your truck for all your future needs.